Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Rabbits and Chickens

During the 2nd WW the folks decided to raise some rabbits and chickens, so we would have enough meat to eat, and it would help stretch the meat coupons that they got for all of us. I don't remember if we ate any of the chickens, as I think they just used them for eggs which were really large double yolk eggs much of the time. It was another matter with the rabbits as mom would fix them for sunday dinner, and she had a way of fixing them that they were really good, and I wouldn't have missed that meal for anything. Mom was a rather plain cook but with that rabbit she did a great job on it. None of our meals were terrible but she didn't use a lot of seasoning. It was fun to go out and gather the eggs and feed the animals, but I didn't think thier messes were fun to clean up. One thing we had lots of fertilizer for the veggie garden. There was a vacant lot in back of our yard and the owner said we could use it for a vegetable garden, so mom and we kids helped with that. The thing I remember most about that is the golden Bantom corn she raised. It was wonderful.

3 comments:

Rayne said...

My step-grandparents lived through the depression and they raised rabbits for eating in the back yard. When I was little eating rabbit seemed totally normal to me, but now...I don't think I could.
We always had chickens growing up and I still remember shoveling out the chicken coop in the August heat. Not fun.

Doodlestreet said...

I remember the rabbits that we raised for that too...and who will ever forget that racoon that Bob accidently hit. OH, should I say that was a rabbit too? Yeah, didn't think so. GAWD. I'll never forget that camping trip...

Cjjstrings Memories said...

I have to agree Rayne as rabbit just isn't what it was then. During the war we didn't have as much meat so what ever we could get was wonderful. Now I don't eat red meat very often and little chicken, so my tastes have changed.
Pam the racoon was definately something to remember.LOL The camping trip was fun though.