Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Spreckles, CA. to San Jose CA



When I was around 6 we moved to Speckles where I started 1st grade. It was a pretty rough school and I was scared of the bullies. Don't think i was in it to long as started having asthma attacks and have very few memories of it. I had a friend named Peaches next door there that I really liked. About the only other thing I remember is that they had rodeo's and parades. I also remember that there were a lot of dirt roads and a lot of dust.
The next place that I remember we moved to was to Lincoln Av. in San Jose. I have several memories of that place. Mom hired men to do the yard work, and she said they were tramps as they didn't have a place to live. She would pay them with meals. I guess they road the rails from town to town from what she said. Another memory was when I was playing in the sprinkler one hot day and I slipped on the cement and I saw those real stars***. A neighbor came out and took me to her porch where she started preaching to me. Mom came out and rescued me then and did all the things that needed to be done to make me feel better. I had a sore head for awhile.
Mom would make sun bonnets and sun suits for me to wear which I always loved, and still think of them fondly. When I was about 8 she took me out of school as I was having a lot of asthma attacks. I don't remember to much about the boys then except that they were around and we played some. MLee was still just a twinkle in Dads eye, and soon on the way.
The picture is of Dick, and I, but am not sure just where it was taken. I liked to play dress up, and having no sister yet poor Dick was the one who had to suffer. Hope it didn't cause him to have an idenity crisis, but he has a good soft heart.
We were living here the xmas that I figured out that Mom and Dad were Santa, as it dawned on me that Santa's hand writing looked like Mom's. That was earth shattering at the time, but I managed to get over it and back to the fun of xmas. It still was exciting to wait for Santa to arrive every year. The same xmas I got a small two wheel bike that I learned to ride but fell into the neighbors cactus patch that was next to the side walk. After enduring having the prickly things dug out I went right out and got on it again with no more mishaps.
This is where we were living when I asked my Dad about the people on the radio and he told me there were a lot of little people living in it. You might say I was a tad gullable.

7 comments:

Doodlestreet said...

Spreckles and Peaches??? Are you seriouse with those names? That is just way too cute...
Now that I think about it, I notice food names are in now...spud, sweetpea, peaches, pumpkin, carrot...I'm waiting for someone to get the name TACO!

Cjjstrings Memories said...

Yes, I am serious, and those are different aren't they. I am sure there probably is someone named Toco aready.

Anonymous said...

"This is where we were living when I asked my Dad about the people on the radio and he told me there were a lot of little people living in it. You might say I was a tad gullable."

That is priceless.
I am enjoying your stories!!! Please keep them coming!

m-lee said...

Where the heck is Spreckles?
Signed TACO

Cjjstrings Memories said...

Thanks Shawn, I will as I think of them.

Cjjstrings Memories said...

Spreckles is a town down near Salinas, Taco.LOL and where the folks moved to from SF

Doodlestreet said...

Hhaah...I just now saw the 'taco' thing! Hhahhaha!
Hey, I once had a cat I named Taco.