Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Music Man



This was my Dad, the man who was always playing some sort of music whether it was an instrument, or records. At one time he had ten thousand records, and then sold a bunch of them and ended up with a thousand LP's. Here is a picture of him and his drums, but that isn't the only thing he tried his hand at playing. One time a horn, another an accordion, and one time he even brought home an organ. He loved music and the Big Bands were his favorite. Now when I met my husband to be there was a little difference of opinion, as my intended like western music and Dad said that wasn't even music. Sorry Dad, I love western music, but like other music also. Dad always had his hand in some kind of music, even though that wasn't his profession. He use to service the coin boxes in dinners etc, and then he started playing music for singles several nights a week. He did this as long as he could and then had to hand it over to someone else.
I don't know when he started wearing the top hat when he played but guess it was sort of his signature.

4 comments:

Doodlestreet said...

I love that photo of grandpa with the top hat. What style...!! :o)
I wonder if I got my interest in music from him. I never took formal lessons...just kinda banged or strummed away...although, this semester in school I am taking beginning piano. I wonder if papa approves.. :o)
I'll be sure and not play western..hee hee...

Cjjstrings Memories said...

Gpa never took lessons except maybe a short time for the accordion. Dik use to play the violin and has a BIG fiddle too. I think papa would approve. I took some according too but was sick to much to keep it up.

m-lee said...

Ah yes, our love of music definitely came from Dad. His top hat lives on in our closet. I guess I wanted it because of the good times.
m-lee

Cjjstrings Memories said...

I am glad you have the top Hat. Den had his straw hat and then it went to Bob, but don't know if he still has been able to keep it with all the stuff he has been through.