Saturday, August 2, 2008

Christmas at the Stringall's



Christmas was a wonderful time around our house even though we were far from rich. Dad would set a big amplifier out on the front porch and play xmas music for the whole neighborhood, for about a week before xmas, and as far as I remember there was only one person who complained, and they lived clear around the corner from us. I really enjoyed the happy experience of the music during the day and evenings, and I went around humming and singing even though it was slightly off key. There was of course always a tree and I suspect we kids trimmed it, and we had the neatest little bird ornaments on it that I think my sis has now.
In school I was in the choir and we would form a group and go from neighborhood to neighborhood and sing xmas carols for the families in there homes at night. Everyone would give us a hand for our efforts, and that made us feel pretty darn good. We also went through the halls at school singing carols when it was choir class time.
Mom always baked goodies and made candy for days before, and as I got old enough I got right in to the middle of it, so it helped mom and I got to lick the bowls too of course. Plus learning how to bake etc..
We learned to make a lot of our gifts and getting them wrapped up really pretty was a challenge sometimes, as being times were leaner we always save the paper and ribbon from year to year, and had to use that. That carried over into my family later, but have finally given that up, as bags are much easier, and of course I save them to use later after they have been opened.LOL
Dad would see that the outside of the house was decorated also. One year he wanted me to draw a santa and sleigh so he could cut it out of wood and then we would paint it, but it was to big of a task, and I didn't get it done. Xmas was a big deal to me.The first xmas I found out there was no santa was devastating to me, but managed to go on and have even more fun. Xmas morning mom alwas made the best carmel topped rolls for breakfast, which makes my mouth water to think of them now. After we opened our gifts which took a little time as we always watched everyone open their gifts, and to this day I like to hold on to mine and watch everyone else and then open mine. Don't want to miss anything. Then we would take our things and put them in our rooms to play with or what ever later. The best xmas was the year Bob and I got out bikes. Some days before xmas two big pkg's were delivered to our house and both Bob and I were really hopeful that they were bikes but they were flat boxes and so we weren't to sure about that. Several times we would get on our bellies and try to see through the vent in the garage, but it was to dang dark in there to see anything. Glad we didn't see them as it was more fun imagining. After we got them I wanted to be out riding all the time, as they were really special, and loved the freedom of being out ridding.
The rest of the day we were busy getting dinner and decorating the table for the feast which was always turkey. In later years I was corraled into doing a lot of it. Sometimes there was a friend invited for dinner as in the picture. these days were always very special to me.

5 comments:

Doodlestreet said...

Awwwww...THAT'S where all our tradtions came from!! I LOVE that!! Oh no...great...not I am already thinking about decorating for the holidays! Hhahhah...you gave me the BUG! Thanks for that holiday-gene, mama! :o)
Those carmel buns sound reallllly good...drool...do ya suppose we could go pirate those down at Sams Club? We'll do that and hit startbucks!! SUCH BAD GIRLS!! :o)

Doodlestreet said...

Oh! I just realized you can click and see a larger version of the photo. How cute is MLEE in that photo!! Awwww....she looks so shy there. Adorable.

Doodlestreet said...

Who is that on your right, mom?

Cjjstrings Memories said...

A friend I was running around with then but I don't remember her name.

Cjjstrings Memories said...

Now Ithink of it I think her name was Barbara something..